Monday, February 21, 2011

Outside the Lulu Box- fashion a la mode


While in yoga this morning, I was really struggling with focus. It could have been that I hardly got any sleep last night so I was tired or the fact that I could hear tons of cars whooshing past the windows outside. Whatever it was, I found myself not focusing on the music, my breathing techniques or my vinyasa poses, but focusing on the other people in the class, and their clothes…

Now usually, I would sit here and preach about how wonderful Lululemon is. They are, seriously. They can turn boring black pants into a fashion statement and make you look good while you sweat in a room that is 98 degrees. I will admit I am a little biased and usually choose that brand before looking at anything else when at the Corepower Yoga Studios, or I scoot over to West End and go to their big shop. But today, I saw a lot of really great stuff that didn’t have the beloved stylized ‘A’ embroidered on the side.  So after class, there I was, the girl in the locker room asking all these strangers who were trying to get ready and get out of there, what they were wearing. (Imagine how uncomfortable they must have felt as I was approaching them while undressing and trying to dry off from our Hot Yoga Fusion class- my apologies but HEY it’s all for the blog!) The majority of women I asked (unfortunately I couldn’t go into the men’s locker room and ask them) said they were wearing a brand called prAna. Instantly I came back to my apartment and began some online shopping. I went to their website and the first thing I see is a picture of someone rock climbing with a quote saying, “Tell me, what it is you plan to do with your one wild and precious life”. I actually might use this quote in the future.

prAna has good stuff. From yoga clothes to other active lifestyle clothing, they seem to have everything a man, woman and child could want. Cool colors and patterns and all fairly well priced, it’s a yogi’s dream website! I realized that I even own some of their ‘Burnout’ headbands, without even knowing it was this brand. (The headbands, by the way are a great purchase. My unruly, sweaty hair is kept in place my whole practice with these.)



prAna is an ancient Sanskrit word that means vitality of the spirit, life and breath, and all of their clothes are organic and fair-trade. Makes you feel good while looking good while doing something good for your body. prAna is an all around good brand that I am happy I looked into, even if I did ruffle a few feathers while finding it.

No comments:

Post a Comment