Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Decoded: translated, reviewed, interpreted- entertainment a la mode

"America don't understand it, the demographics I tapped in"
I sit down to write this book review on Shawn Carter's new autobiography, Decoded, I am listening to his music and find myself drifting in and out of focusing. Between the graphic and honest lyrics of his songs, and the beats that are bumping through the space of my speakers, I keep closing my eyes and listening instead of doing what I have set out to do... write this review. 99 problems, and writing is one. 
Who is Shawn Carter? Come on avid hip-hoppers! Jay-Z... does that name ring a bell? If it doesn't, you should probably just cut your losses and quit reading now.
"Young, Gifted and Black"
Decoded, which was released in November, is Jay-Z's attempt to show us that rap and hip-hop can be considered legitimate forms of poetry, and therefore art. We are also given explanations to all of those lyrics we may have been a bit confused with. A lot of people showed concern with the fact that the normal very private Jay, would lose that in this new book. This is untrue. He remains true to his private life, but giving a glimpse at how he rose to be "one of the most provocative and successful artists of our time". 
I received this book for Christmas from my cousin- a surprising but thoughtful gift. I had read reviews about it before getting the gift, and when I opened it I was very excited to see the gold shimmery cover of the book. I poured into it right away and still, almost a month later, am finding new lyrics and listening to the songs that coincide. 
This memoir is much more than just an autobiography about this hip-hop mogul. Yes, he takes us back to his roots in Brooklyn, New York, and his rise from the projects and the life of a drug dealer. He then brings us on his journey to free-styling in Trenton, New Jersey, to where he first heard the great music of the Sugar Hill Gang and Run DMC. We continue to follow him through his rise to the top, where he became, and still is today, one of the biggest idols in the hip-hop world. This is much more than a memoir however, in that it is a deeply personal set of entries which are very close to his heart and which shows us how highly he thinks of his predecessors and the art that is, hip-hop music. It is all in all, a brilliant book and has sold far more copies than anyone gave him credit for. And trust me, he makes "no apologies for what he's about to do".

Oh and by the way, in the song "Big Pimpin'", the phrase B.L.A.D's refers to rims on cars. Something, for years I sang without knowing the definition. Boy am I glad its just that. 

When he can't beat the odds, can't cheat the cards/Can't blow too hard, life's a deck of cards/Now you're tumbling, it's humbling, you're falling, you're mumbling/Under your breath like you knew this day was coming/(FALLING)

Uhh,uh uh uh/It's big pimpin baby...

1 comment:

  1. Very insightful. I am patiently waiting for your next critique... might I suggest "A Shore Thing" by my girl, Nicole Polizzi?

    ReplyDelete