Monday, February 7, 2011

Don Your Suit of Lights- music a la mode

In some of the rare moments I have to watch television, I saw a preview for the upcoming movie “Waiting for Forever”. Rachel Bilson, my all-time fashion icon is featured so regardless, I will love it. However, the song from the trailer “World’s Apart” struck a chord in me. One of my closest friends (and avid depressing/makes you cry/emo music lover) showed me the trailer a couple days later at one of our usual Starbucks dates, and told me that she couldn’t find the song anywhere. I was having the same problem. The song “Worlds Apart” recorded by up and coming band The Mostar Diving Club, became an obsession until it was finally released on iTunes, and all was good in the world once I bought it. Now, the song is blasting in my car frequently while I am driving and I have dived (no pun intended) into the world of the Mostar Diving Club. The band comes from Damian Katkhuda, lead vocalist of the band Obi who is on hiatus while he takes on this new project. An Indie band from Europe, they sound like a mix of Gary Jules and Landon Pigg. The simplicity of their guitar use and other eclectic instruments makes this music very easy to listen to.  Simply put, it is soothing and peaceful.


The band's name is derived from a Bosnian coming-of-age tradition where young men dive from an old bridge into the shallow waters of the river below. Seems to me like a very dangerous activity. Damian’s family on his father’s side are all from Bosnia where this tradition takes place.  Clearly this is a very important part of Damian’s past. Start with the song “World’s Apart” like I did and go from there. I can pinky promise that you will not regret listening to this band.


No comments:

Post a Comment